Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Very cool evening of music

 
Last night I needed a break from all the JAM planning. I gave myself a great treat. I went to  new place in SE Portland in the Sellwood neighborhood called The Woods. It's a new venue for music housed in a former mortuary.

There was nothing dead about that place last night! Tony Furtado plays a mean slide guitar and banjo. He has an ease on stage that makes him instantly likeable. He called numerous guest talents to the stage to lay/sing with him.  One of my favorite local singers, Stephanie Schneiderman was present and added warmth and song to a supportive house.

Sunday night I joined a lot of Schneiderman fans at Jimmy Maks. It was crowded and the audience talked  and talked and talked....grrrrrrr! She was amazing, but a chunk of the audience forgot to pay attention.

Last night, a smaller house (packed none-the-less) was quiet , attentive and appreciative. I felt like I was experiencing a live performance in my living room.  The causal flow of banter from Tony and others, lots of talented guests and the warm melodies and harmonies put out by Stephanie set the tone and created an intimate environment for an amazing evening of music.....the way music ought to be!

My new music discovery  lat night was Scott Law. He is an amazing guitar player who quickly won me over with his incredible ability to jam on songs that were new to him. He is a must see in Portland.

Tony will be at the Woods again on Tuesday the 2nd. I plan to be there. Join me?

No comments: