Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Glass for the Newly Weds

I haven't had the opportunity to make one of these bowls in a while! I was thrilled to be asked to make this bowl as a gift.

The commission stated that the couple liked natural colors so I selected this amber/hint of green glass. The surface is iridized so there is a lovely rainbow sheen that is visible from certain angles.

I cut two 15" circles of the glass and placed the smooth surfaces of the glass facing each other so the rainbow surface would be accentuated on both sides.  I sprinkled a light dusting of clear powdered glass across the face of the bowl to  give the piece a sheen and to also contain the iridescence, making the bowl food safe. I full fused it once, then added the letters cut from spring green irid glass, and dichroic dots to the surface. A second visit to the kiln allowed for a tack-fuse. Using my flat lap grinder, I smoothed out the edges and then the glass was returned to the kiln one last time to be slumped into a bowl.

There is always a written statement about the glass, with some information about the gematria behind the word Ahavah, and a blessing.

The piece is now signed and sealed in bubblewrap...ready to be delivered...tomorrow. Mazal tov to the bride and groom!

No comments: