Thursday, October 20, 2022

Quilted Glass

                 


ORA's annual Art show Celebration of Art has been on hiatus (no gratitude extended to the CORONA VIRUS).... BUT WE ARE BACK!!!!!!

Saturday October 29th 7-9 pm at the MJCC and Sunday October 30th 10a-4p

The MJCC is located at 5561 SW Capitol Hwy in Portland Oregon.

I have some new designs! Here's a little of the back story. My dad was a tailor. A tailor from the old country. A talented tailor.... as in if you compared his hand-stitched seams with a machine-stitched seam....you couldn't tell the difference.

I tried to sew once. I loved fabric...the textures, patterns....both appealed to my sense of touch and sight.

Long story short....it was a disaster! I still love fabric...and appreciate anyone who can sew a straight seam, be it hand-sewn or by machine.

Glass can have similar attributes to fabric. Handled in the right ways, glass can be manipulated  to offer a variety of visual aesthetics as well as surface and sub surface textures. Instead of sewing glass (hmmm, another interesting thing to pursue some day!) I assemble glass parts sheets I have made, much as a quilter selects fabric scraps, cuts them, and assembles them into colorful arrays.

I went to the Latimer Quilt and Textile Museum in Tillamook Oregon this summer (one of my favorite places to visit) and yet again saw the ways in which talented artists used fabric the way other artists use paint. They crafted amazing quilts...some as sculptures, some as fabric paintings, and others as modern interpretations of the classic quilts we all know. I breathed it all in! 

Using textured glass left over from other projects and making a few additional pattern sheets, my first attempts to use glass as fabric scraps to emulate quilts in functional designs has been nothing short of fun....and filled with numerous AHA moments, when I learned what did and didn't work! 

Most of my efforts have been using black, white, and occasional gray glass. This one injects a bit of color and has 3 layers of color in it...a small tray....I call it...The Circus . Can you guess why?

No comments: