Saturday, November 10, 2018

RBG: Fused Glass Mask

I have long admired Ruth Bader Ginsberg. Two years ago I started designing a mask of her. I stopped, feeling like ..."who am I to attempt this? what kind of chutzpah do I possess to do this?"

Finally, I screwed up the courage to finish my tribute to her. Her left earring is a mini Constitution scroll that says "We the People."
Her right earring is a mini book titled "I Dissent!" Using my smallest penmanship , I penned many of her most famous dissents on the first several pages. Her brooch is fused glass with rhinestone letters glued on...and yes, she has a lace collar too!

This mask drew a good bit of attention at the Celebration of Art at the end of October. I wasn't sure I could part with her,  but then...a repeat customer came into my booth . Two years ago (or was it 3?) she had visited my booth and purchased my "grandma mask" for her daughter  in California. 

She saw the RBG mask and knew immediately that her daughter needed RBG on her wall!

Her daughter wrote me a sweet note saying that RBG is now keeping "grandma" company on her wall. 

I am sending blessings to RBG for speedy healing. What a remarkable woman.... even broken ribs won't keep her from her work! Refuah Shleymah Justice Ginsberg!

No comments: