Monday, June 3, 2013

A Yahrzeit Candle is Packed and Shipped!


I am honored to have been asked to create a yahrzeit candle for another family in St. Louis.

This style is free form and features several design elements.
Silver and bronze mica is embedded between layer of black and clear. Dichroic, red, turquoise and green glass were added to the top. On the green, red and turquoise glass there are verses from traditional prayers of mourning hand printed in white gold ink. 

I also made memorial stones to set out each time a specific yahrzeit is observed. As each stone is written, I recall a parent, uncle, aunt, cousin or friend who has passed. The names don't necessarily belong to my family/friend circle...but names like aunt, grandpa, mom....are the common links. Death is a part of our life cycle....and grieving is a process....or at least, it should be.  I am humbled by the thought that I can contribute to another family holding a name alive, treasuring memories, and using the tradition of yahrzeit to memorialize the name of a precious soul.




No comments: