Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Writing About The Tedious....Is....Well....Tedious!

During the spring, summer, and fall, I do all my wet work on my lower back deck. ARGGGH!  

Okay, I think I am done with sharing the tedious aspects of art making. I haven't yet shared my reflections on the storing of display equipment, the storing of the artwork, the record keeping, the labeling, the pricing, the advertising....and sigh....the list goes on. I love making glass and I hve learned to get past my introversion tendancies enough to actually enjoy meeting with my customers. It's been awhile since I have heard a comment like, "oh, I made a glass tray once...this is easy!", and I fortunatley haven't heard someone complain about the prices of my art and others being too high. But my last several posts and this one are reminders to all the wonderful art lovers and consumers of art...that when you purchase a piece of art, large or small, it's more than just a bit of glass with some doo-dahs on it. It's more than just some paint slapped on a canvas. It is the result of study, hard work, the aquisition and maintenance of tools, the cost of belonging to a guild, renting a studio or maintaining one, advertising,etc. Most artists I know are happy to just break even.

No comments: