Saturday, January 27, 2018

Everything is in Place!


Everything is complete but the new Torah covers...which will be completed within the next two months.

It was quite special leading services last night. The residents were so appreciative of the new space. I  introduced the Sanctuary Song and they all sang loudly with strong voices. These lyrics embody the theme of the words adorning the ark...so we discussed what the words meant:  "Build for Me a Sanctuary that I may dwell among you."  Here we were, sitting in a beautiful new space...a sanctuary dedicated to prayer. Another interpretation of those words is that we are to create a space within ourselves where we can welcome God.

Two individuals who attended services are not Jewish. One  spoke to me about how he can no longer attend church services. This was his first time in a Jewish service and he felt so comfortable even though the liturgy was a little different from his own! The second individual has been a regular for years!

One resident asked to speak with me after services and he referenced one of the lines in the song;  "...in thanksgiving, I'll be a living sanctuary for You."  He looked at me and proclaimed, " I want to be a living sanctuary! How do I do that?"

It was a lovely conversation and whether I answered his question satisfactorily or not, he seemed pleased.  I left feeling like the collaborative effort of donors, staff, architects, board members, and artists was absolutely worth it. We wanted to create a holy space where residents; all residents regardless of their faith or practice, could come to pray, meditate, or just be. 

וְעָשׂוּ לִי מִקְדָּשׁ וְשָׁכַנְתִּי בְּתוֹכָם

No comments: